CARLOS BECKER WESTPHALL
(Photo taken on 10/10/2021)
<carlosbwestphall at gmail.com>
Latin America Top 10.000 Scientists. “AD Scientific Index 2021 Version 1”
Computer Science ranking on 10/10/2021 : #2 at UFSC, #158 in Brazil, #202 in South America and #9208 in the World.
“Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need, since the Kingdom of the heavens belongs to them” (Matthew 5:3).
“With the grace of God, we are always better at everything with health, peace, love, prosperity, joy, happiness… contributing in this world”.
Recent “papers” , “slides” , “videos” , “others” , and links with more information.
MAIDAM in IoT/Fog/Cloud – Mutual Authentication, Intrusion Detection and Autonomic Management in IoT/Fog/Cloud Environments and AutoManSec 4 CloudIoT – Autonomic Management and Security for Cloud and IoT
Two-step ensemble approach for intrusion detection and identification in IoT and fog computing environments
Autonomic energy management with Fog Computing
Mutual authentication with multi-factor in IoT-Fog-Cloud environment
Hybrid approach to intrusion detection in fog-based IoT environments
Autonomic Intrusion Detection and Response Using Big Data
Order@Cloud: An agnostic meta‐heuristic for VM provisioning, adaptation, and organisation
Mutual Authentication for IoT in the Context of Fog Computing
Privacy Policies Model in Access Control
Cloud identity management: a survey on privacy strategies
Improving cloud computing virtual machines balancing through hosts and virtual machines similarities
Preserving Privacy with Fine-grained Authorization in an Identity Management System
A Framework and Risk Assessment Approaches for Risk-based Access Control in the Cloud
Order@Cloud: A VM Organisation Framework Based on Multi-Objectives Placement Ranking
A Model for Managed Elements under Autonomic Cloud Computing Management
A distributed autonomic management framework for cloud computing orchestration
RACLOUDS – Model for Clouds Risk Analysis in the Information Assets Context
Cloud resource management: a survey on forecasting and profiling models
Legacy Network Infrastructure Management Model for Green Cloud Validated Through Simulations
Operation, Management, Security and Sustainability for Cloud Computing
Green Clouds through Servers, Virtual Machines and Network Infrastructure Management
– “Provisioning, Resource Allocation, and DVFS in Green Clouds
– “Environment, Services and Network Management for Green Clouds
– ”Toward an Architecture for Monitoring Private Clouds”
– “Intrusion Detection for Grid and Cloud Computing”
Carlos Becker Westphall is Full Professor (since 1993) at the Federal University of Santa Catarina – Brazil, where he acts as the leader of the Network and Management Laboratory and also coordinates some projects funded by the Brazilian National Research Council (CNPq). Obtained a degree in Electrical Engineering in 1985 and a M.Sc. degree in Computer Science in 1988, both at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil. Obtained a D.Sc. degree in Computer Science (Network Management) at the University of Toulouse (Université Toulouse III – Paul Sabatier), France, in 1991. Editorial board member of periodicals and technical program and/or organizing committee member of conferences. He was the founder of LANOMS. He has contributed to Elsevier as editorial board member of the ”Computer Networks Journal”; to Springer as board of editors and senior technical editor of the ”Journal of Network and Systems Management”. He acted as a local group coordinator in the European MAX/ESPRIT II project which involved the Alcatel- TITN, British Telecom, HP, CSELT, SIRTI and NKT Companies. Best paper of CLEI 2011. Awarded “International Academy, Research, and Industry Association” Fellow (award plaque), in 2011. Paper at IEEE ComSoc Technology News, in 2012.Achievement award – tutorial at WorldComp 2013. Awarded – best paper of ICN 2013. IEEE Communications Society 20 years member (Certificate of Appreciation), in 2014. Certificate of Appreciation – CNSM 2020 Organizing Committee Member, IFP, IEEE, IEEE Communications Society. Outstanding Service Award – 21th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Internet Computing (CCGrid 2021), IEEE / ACM. Latin America Top 10.000 Scientists. AD Scientific Index 2021 Version 1, AD Scientific Index Rankings for Scientists (https://www.adscientificindex.com). Since 1993 member of IFIP TC6 Working Group 6.6 (Management of Networks and Distributed Systems). Since 2003 member of the core team of the TMF UP (TeleManagement Forum Universities Program). International Academy, Research, and Industry Association – Latin America Liaison Board Chair since 2008. Member 2004-2005 and 2006-2007 of IEEE ComSoc Membership Programs Development Board. From May 2000 to May 2005, he acted as “Secretary” of IEEE CNOM (Committee on Network Operation and Management). From May 2005 to May 2009, he acted as “Vice-Chair” of IEEE CNOM. Member of IEEE CNOM since 1994. Member of COMSNETS Association since 2021. He has published a paper in 1984 entitled “Receiver for modem in accordance with CCITT Recommendation V.22, in Portuguese”, contributing to the development of this modem in Brazil. He has presented the first master thesis about network management in Brazil, entitled “Proposition for Data Communications Management Functions” in 1988. He was the youngest Full Professor in Brazilian Federal Universities with 31 years old, in 1993. Supervisor of the first thesis of Ph.D. Program in Computer Science at the Federal University of Santa Catarina, in 2000. The thesis was entitled: “Design, Development and Analysis of a Management System for Secure Telecommunication Networks”.
Honors, awards and achievements
– Paper selected from ACM International Middleware Conference, Workshop Proceedings, 2003 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Extended Version at Wiley Journal – Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, 2004.
– Tutorial at IEEE/IFIP NOMS 2010, in Osaka, Japan.
– Best paper of CLEI 2011, in Quito, Ecuador. Extended Version at CLEIej 2012.
– International Academy, Research, and Industry Association Fellow, and Award Plaque, in 2011.
– Keynote speech at GlobeNet 2012, in Reunion Island, France.
– Paper at IEEE ComSoc Technology News, in 2012.
– Tutorial at WorldComp 2013, Achievement Award, and Slides, in Las Vegas, USA.
– IEEE Communications Society 20 years member, Certificate of Appreciation, in 2013.
– Best paper of ICN 2013, in Seville, Spain. Extended version at IJANS, in 2014.
– Tutorial at NetWare 2014, in Lisbon, Portugal.
– Paper selected from ICN 2014, in Nice, France. Extended version at IJAIS 2014.
– Panel at Forum RNP 2015, in Brasília, Brazil.
– Keynote speech at ConSerpro 2015, in Florianópolis, Brazil.
– Tutorial at NexComm 2016, in Lisbon, Portugal.
– Paper selected from ICN 2016, in Lisbon, Portugal. Extended version at IJANS.
– Invited Presentation at CyberSecurity 2016, in Brasilia, Brazil.
– Tutorial at NexComm 2017, in Venice, Italy.
– Invited Presentation at IWCSS 2017, in Guangzhou, China.
– Presentation at IEEE COMSNETS 2019, in Bengaluru, India.
– Presentation at INFONOR 2021, in Arica, Chile.
– Member of COMSNETS Association.
This page was updated on 15 July 2022.